Subject: Re: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 01:45:00 +0200

On 24.12.2021 16:57, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>  writes:
> 
>> On 24.12.2021 14:56, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>>> Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>   writes:
>>>
>>>> I have pushed the change which obsoletes vc-switch-backend now.
>>> So what is the preferred way for switching to another vc backend from
>>> 28.1 onward?
>> I suppose it depends on your scenario.
>>
>> Do you routinely use two different backends in certain
>> projects/directories?
> Yes, when switching between some default vc backend such as git and
> vc-backup (from ELPA) to work with backup files.

I haven't tried that package, but it's a little surprising that 
vc-backup needs such a feature to be fully usable. I guess one option 
would be for it to provide user commands, one of which which would move 
it at the front of vc-handled-backends? An the other would undo that 
action. Or just bundle a copy of vc-switch-backend under a different name.

But if you don't like both of those suggestions, my preferred plan would 
be for you to continue using vc-switch-backend in Emacs 28. In Emacs 29, 
we could un-obsolete it but put it on a different key binding (such as 
'C-x v B'), freeing 'C-x v b' for the prefix map for branch operations.