Subject: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 02:37:24 +0300

On 13.10.2021 13:12, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>> OK, then I guess the follow-up question is, do we obsolete
>> 'vc-transfer-file' as well? It's the only caller of 'vc-switch-backend'
>> outside of interactive invocations.
>>
>> 'vc-transfer-file' can also be used by 'C-u M-x vc-next-action', but it
>> seems like a very rare workflow as well. Though more plausible than the
>> use of 'vc-switch-backend' by itself.
> Personally I don't use either of these commands, so this is a question
> to others..

I guess there's little point to be too ambitious here, given that 
vc-transfer-file is not interactive, and changing vc-next-action's 
signature is not in the cards now anyway.

And we don't have an actual mechanism for obsoleting only a part of 
command's calling convention.

I have pushed the change which obsoletes vc-switch-backend now.

Which should remove the main obstacle to adding the branches map with 
good binding in Emacs 29.