Subject: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 16:06:05 +0300

On 07.10.2021 15:56, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> What if 2 people total, out of all users, were using this command?
> 
> That's the same as "no one", for the purposes of this discussion.

If the command is still useful to a handful of people (some subset of 
CVS/RSC users, apparently), and it doesn't take effort to maintain it, 
it doesn't seem helpful to deprecate it.

Unlike the key binding.

>> Would you still deprecate it, with intent to remove? Or would you still
>> keep the binding?
> 
> I didn't say I was against deprecating the command.  I said
> deprecating it is the only way to eventually usurp its key binding.

And I questioned this statement.

> But deprecation will take time, and I was under the impression that
> Juri wanted the VC branch commands to have the binding NOW.

As Juri said, the new branch commands are not ready yet.

His patch was to prepare the users to this prefix being used for branch 
commands in the next Emacs version. You didn't like the proposed method, 
that's okay.

Let's deprecate the binding in Emacs 28, so it can be used for branch 
commands in Emacs 29.