Subject: Re: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 14:25:10 +0200

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It's not mnemonic either.
>>
>
> IMO it is, '<' is a visual representation of two branches.  I wouldn't
> be surprised if '<' was used (as an icon) to open a dialog for branch
> operations in some other editor.

(With apologies for contributing to the bikeshed,)

'y' kinda works too by the same logic, and is unused by vc AFAICT?
Magit uses 'y' for "refs" commands[1], which bring up buffers
enumerating branches and tags).

(Magit does use 'b' for branch management in general though.  IMO it is
more intuitive for a VC system to bind commonly used branch commands[2]
to 'b'; switching backends sounds like a one-off maintenance operation
that one would hopefully not need a dedicated binding for.)

[1] https://magit.vc/manual/magit/References-Buffer.html

[2] Such as those described upthread, e.g. creating branches, showing
    their log, checking them out:

    <[email-masked]>
    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2021-10/msg00483.html