Subject: bug#50334: 28.0.50; vc-delete-file fails with wrong-type-argument

From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 15:11:58 +0200

This a simple recipe to reproduce the problem:

- emacs -Q
- M-x toggle-debug-on-error
- M-x vc-delete-file
- Select a file under a Git-versioned directory on your system (i.e., not a 
remote one)

After hitting RET I see:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp 47)
   find-file-name-handler(47 file-remote-p)
   file-remote-p(47 localname)
   file-local-name(47)
   vc-git--literal-pathspec(47)
   vc-git--literal-pathspecs("/home/manuel/.emacs.d/.mc-lists.el")
   vc-git-delete-file("/home/manuel/.emacs.d/.mc-lists.el")
   apply(vc-git-delete-file "/home/manuel/.emacs.d/.mc-lists.el")
   vc-call-backend(Git delete-file "/home/manuel/.emacs.d/.mc-lists.el")
   vc-delete-file("~/.emacs.d/.mc-lists.el")
   funcall-interactively(vc-delete-file "~/.emacs.d/.mc-lists.el")
   call-interactively(vc-delete-file record nil)
   command-execute(vc-delete-file record)
   execute-extended-command(nil "vc-delete-file" "vc-de")
   funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "vc-delete-file" "vc-de")
   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
   command-execute(execute-extended-command)

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.18, cairo 
version 1.16.0)
  of 2021-09-02 built on hathaway
Repository revision: f85b8678c4a08fd91d9b5f32dcde2f0b21bc6e38
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-harfbuzz --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x help-fns
radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace help-mode find-func vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc cl-loaddefs cl-lib vc-dispatcher cus-start cus-load
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 92944 8255)
  (symbols 48 8630 0)
  (strings 32 24669 1247)
  (string-bytes 1 786406)
  (vectors 16 17151)
  (vector-slots 8 286461 11875)
  (floats 8 30 40)
  (intervals 56 304 0)
  (buffers 992 12))

-- 
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu