Subject: Re: bug#50326: [PATCH cuirass] Add systemd unit file for remote worker service.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 16:01:06 +0200

Hello!

Thiago Jung Bauermann <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * etc/cuirass-remote-worker.service.in: New file.
> * doc/cuirass.texi: Mention it.
> * .gitignore: Ignore it.
> * Makefile.am (noinst_SCRIPTS): Add ‘etc/cuirass-remote-worker.service’.
> (EXTRA_DIST): Likewise.
> (etc/cuirass-remote-worker.service): New target.
> * configure.ac: Check for ‘(guix config)’ module.
> Set ‘guix_localstatedir’ variable.
> ---
>
> Hello,
>
> This patch adds the systemd unit file I installed on guixp9. The
> configure script finds out Guix’s localstatedir and substitutes it in
> etc/cuirass-remote-worker.service.in. The service file isn’t installed
> anywhere and the user is supposed to get it from the build directory if
> they want to use it.
>
> I did it this way because there’s no $PREFIX/doc/examples directory
> or equivalent where it could be shipped, and I thought that it would
> be excessive to add it to all Cuirass installations considering that
> only a few of them would actually have a use for it. But I can send a
> v2 making this change if people think it would be better.

With this approach, the user has to get the source and configure it,
which is somewhat annoying.

I’d prefer installing it to $sysconfdir, similar to how we do it in
Guix.  That makes it easier for interested users to locate the right
.service and to install it, right after they’ve done ‘guix install
cuirass’.

WDYT?

If that’s fine with you, I’ll happily push v2 on your behalf!

Thanks,
Ludo’.