Subject: bug#50312: Recurring timeout eror while using offload

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 01:35:11 -0400

Hello Guix,

I'm encountered timeout error that seem to be caused by a particular
payload rather than networking issues.   With a specific payload (a
bunch of rust package to build on the core-updates-frozen branch), it
seems to be triggered every time.

Here's the derivations to be built:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ./pre-inst-env guix build rust -n
The following derivations would be built:
   /gnu/store/nv3l1lyx4x33gx80pxk8033g01b6bv0m-rust-1.54.0.drv
   /gnu/store/bmc82kpr11gpk1xy7d3l6hy37cs58i7d-rustc-1.54.0-src.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/x1v25nclqps677j1g5dvyck2njaxy0ya-rust-1.53.0.drv
   /gnu/store/9v5yl0fg4dj1n82pkznksasmdjgi541w-rust-1.52.1.drv
   /gnu/store/72572pjayh2j5frr187i7axjzfd01kp6-rust-1.51.0.drv
   /gnu/store/0z13dkldzsxf87f4kgi3b2545bm39nnh-rustc-1.51.0-src.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/q9mbicnmrpd1c98vmi5y0gyjnpr3gqbn-rust-1.50.0.drv
   /gnu/store/h5959ysczr862ldwh6f85h10895c4csp-rust-1.49.0.drv
   /gnu/store/izgl0l21r5lwd3d3glxqwmigl0315b26-rustc-1.49.0-src.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/n0dpka76b9q0w4r2k912qq5p2a57bz6c-rust-1.48.0.drv
   /gnu/store/a9qwa9cl90xrm2dpa3hnd3ak54nqss8n-rust-1.47.0.drv
   /gnu/store/7ib14fx50651av5bq5g195cqf2azsvhc-rust-1.46.0.drv
   /gnu/store/h3mxv9zlx8q3x0m0s5gvin2n1ndliivw-rust-1.45.2.drv
   /gnu/store/4i5xm0wcasilh55f9gfcrzp2sjdkd507-rust-1.44.1.drv
   /gnu/store/m7z7jdd2my4p9p5mjwa0cna4fzhd1v8j-rust-1.43.0.drv
   /gnu/store/pw4ynvgbnk1j6fxlh37a9wd8fyi7bjnc-rustc-1.50.0-src.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/g9izbhyhc6jcalxgbxc6aas3aa66h2aa-rustc-1.52.1-src.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/jbr3f7360x3ww5rn6nnb803yxq7ppck3-rustc-1.53.0-src.tar.xz.drv
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And here is what the error looks like:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
rustc-1.52.1-src/src/llvm-project/clang/test/Misc/message-length.c
rustc-1.52.1-src/src/llvm-project/clang/test/Driver/fmessage-length.c
rustc-1.52.1-src/src/llvm-project/compiler-rt/test/hwasan/TestCases/stack-history-length.c
rustc-1.52.1-src/src/llvm-project/clang/test/Sema/vector_swizzle_length.c
rustc-1.52.1-src/src/llvm-project/clang/test/Sema/array-bounds-ptr-arith.c
rustc-1.52.1-src/src/llvm-project/clang/test/Analysis/ptr-arith.c
rustc-1.52.1-src/vendor/openssl-src/openssl/crypto/engine/tb_asnmth.c
rustc-1.52.1-src/src/llvm-project/clang/test/CodeGen/aarch64-sve-intrinsics/acle_sve_cnth.c
rustc-1.52.1-src/vendor/openssl-src/openssl/crypto/pem/pem_oth.c
rustc-1.52.1-src/vendor/libgit2-sys/libgit2/src/transports/auth.c
guix offload: error: failed to connect to '127.0.0.1': Timeout connecting to 127.0.0.1
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/4i5xm0wcasilh55f9gfcrzp2sjdkd507-rust-1.44.1.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/h3mxv9zlx8q3x0m0s5gvin2n1ndliivw-rust-1.45.2.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/7ib14fx50651av5bq5g195cqf2azsvhc-rust-1.46.0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/a9qwa9cl90xrm2dpa3hnd3ak54nqss8n-rust-1.47.0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/n0dpka76b9q0w4r2k912qq5p2a57bz6c-rust-1.48.0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/h5959ysczr862ldwh6f85h10895c4csp-rust-1.49.0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/q9mbicnmrpd1c98vmi5y0gyjnpr3gqbn-rust-1.50.0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/72572pjayh2j5frr187i7axjzfd01kp6-rust-1.51.0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/9v5yl0fg4dj1n82pkznksasmdjgi541w-rust-1.52.1.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/x1v25nclqps677j1g5dvyck2njaxy0ya-rust-1.53.0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/nv3l1lyx4x33gx80pxk8033g01b6bv0m-rust-1.54.0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix build: error: build of `/gnu/store/nv3l1lyx4x33gx80pxk8033g01b6bv0m-rust-1.54.0.drv' failed

real    2m50.854s
user    0m11.302s
sys     0m0.661s
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

It occurs shortly after heavy scrolling starts.

I've verified that it's not my network link at least on my local
network; any ideas what I should look into for debugging?  Perhaps the
logs/strace of the remote SSH server?

Thanks,

Maxim