Subject: Re: bug#50297: 28.0.50; Aggregate project functions for project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:13:53 +0300

On 22.09.2021 10:15, Philip Kaludercic wrote:

>> And whatever ambiguities about recursive search can be solved through
>> better descriptions in docstrings.
> 
> Ok, I will update the patches and refine the documentation. My plan
> would be to be non-recursive by default, and recurse if a prefix
> argument is given.

If you like. No recursive option seems also okay.

>> We could also add a hook like project-after-read-list-hook, which
>> people would be able to use for cleanup, e.g. adding
>> project-forget-zombie-projects to it. Not sure whether to add it there
>> by default, though.
> 
> The question is does it make sense to not always forget zombies? This
> depends on the real-world performance.

FWIW, speaking of Tramp, we can either avoid cleaning remote dirs, or at 
least make sure the connection is on before checking (and skip those 
where it is not).

And another way to limit the performance impact is to cap the number of 
projects in history.

> If it is a noticeable burden (at
> least on some systems), users might prefer adding the function to
> kill-emacs-hook instead of a project-after-read-list-hook.

kill-emacs-hook is also a good place to use it indeed. Maybe we don't 
need the other hook.