Subject: bug#50266: closed (Re: bug#50266: 28.0.50; expand-file-name broken with non ASCII characters)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 15:43:02 +0000

Your bug report

#50266: 28.0.50; expand-file-name broken with non ASCII characters

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
50266: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50266
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#50266: 28.0.50; expand-file-name broken with non ASCII characters
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Joakim Hårsman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 18:42:39 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Joakim Hårsman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:36:47 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I finally had the time to try this and with the latest snapshot everything works! Sorry for the delay in testing
> and thanks for the prompt fix.
> 
> Here's the version I tested with if it matters:
> 
> In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
> Repository revision: 44c13eefe8d30841000a96d82f467fb8d222e365
> Repository branch: master
> Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19043
> System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19043.1237)

Great, thanks for testing.  I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 28.0.50; expand-file-name broken with non ASCII characters
From: Joakim Hårsman <[email-masked]>
To: bug-gnu-emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 14:08:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Bug manifests on Windows 10 ( I haven't tested other versions). Before
starting emacs:

C:\Users\JoakimHårsman>chdir
C:\Users\JoakimHårsman

C:\Users\JoakimHårsman>echo %HOME%
C:\users\JoakimHårsman

C:\Users\JoakimHårsman> runemacs -Q

Notice that the current directory which is the same as the HOME
environment, contains the letter å. After starting emacs with runemacs
-Q:

(expand-file-name default-directory)

returns

"c:/users/JoakimH  rsman/"

or alternatively

"c:/users/JoakimH\303\245rsman/"

while the correct return value should be

"c:/users/JoakimHårsman/"

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
Repository revision: 7640f1da0be206a7598c96acdfdaaf390a2b546c
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19043
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19043.1165)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/d/a/emacs-build/emacs-build/pkg/master-x86_64
 --with-native-compilation --with-zlib --with-gnutls --with-xml2
 --with-lcms2 --with-json --with-harfbuzz --without-cairo --with-rsvg
 --with-png --with-gif --without-tiff --with-jpeg --with-xpm
 --disable-build-details --disable-silent-rules --without-dbus
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XPM
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
help-mode seq byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils iso-transl
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 89375 14408)
 (symbols 48 7898 1)
 (strings 32 22918 3463)
 (string-bytes 1 759569)
 (vectors 16 23743)
 (vector-slots 8 1091049 147200)
 (floats 8 29 266)
 (intervals 56 257 0)
 (buffers 992 12))