Subject: bug#50264: ca-certificate-bundle fails to build

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 15:08:19 +0200

Hi,

Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Failure:
> /gnu/store/kxkxji6m101ylgpa82jmxvmy5szpvk1k-ca-certificate-bundle.drv
> /gnu/store/wahy9p8985vbcibwwjk3p73hxh82f90v-ca-certificate-bundle-builder
>
> Success:
> /gnu/store/rx6pqcpgwcyl6spfi8acgjzksrpqhac1-ca-certificate-bundle.drv
> /gnu/store/wahy9p8985vbcibwwjk3p73hxh82f90v-ca-certificate-bundle-builder
>
> (Yes, exactly the same builder input hash. I double-checked.)

As discussed on IRC, I stumbled upon this bug while running:

  ./pre-inst-env guix system vm gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl

on commit 580984f2417853379d98ea927fd95c0f0fbe2c97.

The first attempt downloaded lots of substitutes and produced, as in
your case, a broken ca-certificate-bundle.drv: the ‘-builder’ script is
correct, but there are only ~80 derivation inputs instead of ~230.

The second run right after that produced the correct
ca-certificate-bundle.drv: same ‘-builder’ script, but all the
derivation inputs were there, including glibc-utf8-locales.drv.

I’ve tried to reproduce it running GC during or before the command, to
no avail so far.  If someone has an easy and reliable way to reproduce
it, please share!

I don’t have a good hypothesis so far as to where things go wrong…

Ludo’.