Subject: bug#50256: thing-at-mouse

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 09:50:14 +0200

>>   > That's orthogonal.  (And it seems to issue the warning in an unrelated
 >>   > case, handled by the 'else' clause?)
 >>
 >> Which case?
 >
 > This one:
 >
 >> +      else
 >> +	   posint = marker_position (w->pointm);

You mean when the caller asks for using point in a non-selected window
that does not show the current buffer.  Why do you think this case is
unrelated and/or should be handled differently?

 >> Maybe I have not been making myself clear.  What I would apply is the
 >> attached (modulo any errors it contains): No change in behavior, just a
 >> warning in the doc-string and suspicious calls.
 >
 > That doesn't fix the problem which started this thread, does it?

Right.  We have two ways to fix that problem:

(1) Fix it in a general way.  You don't want to do that because it might
     harm calls of that function that silently worked until now.

(2) Fix it by modifying the calls of `pos-visible-in-window-p'.  In that
     case the warning should help us find the calls that should be fixed.

martin