Subject: Re: [bug#50231] [PATCH] gnu: emacs-desktop-environment: Include runtime dependencies

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 22:15:59 +0200

Hello,

Reily Siegel <[email-masked]> writes:

> The emacs package can be configured to use other tools. However, unless
> the package is specifically configured otherwise, it will not work when
> installed. Without either these propagated inputs or special
> configuration, this package cannot perform any of its functions. 

I know, but this Emacs library is not supposed to provide the features
itself. I assume you use it on top of installed executables, as
explained in the package description:

  The package depends on the availability of shell commands to do the
  hard work for us.

Pulling all of them from an Emacs package sounds backward.

> Perhaps these could be included in a separate output?

Outputs are distinct part of the package output. Here, propagated
executables are not part of the Emacs library, so the suggestion does
not hold.

Maybe Guix is missing a "suggested depedencies" flag, somehow.

Anyhow, I think the status quo is fine. WDY (and others) T?

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou