Subject: bug#50230: Endian problem with native compilation

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 17:00:19 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 12:28:59 +0000
> From:  Andrea Corallo via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > define_cast_functions contains all the horrible mess.
> >
> > Andreas.
> 
> Hi Andreas,
> 
> is this bug fixed with 6767e5565?

Andrea,

Regardless of whether the big-endian bugs are solved with this, could
you please try to give us an idea of how this change could affect the
native code produced by Emacs, and whether it could destabilize Emacs
with natively-compiled Lisp code to any significant degree?

We intend to start pretest of Emacs 28.1 soon, and I'm a bit bothered
by such low-level changes, because they could invalidate all the good
experience and debugging we accumulated since the native-comp branch
landed on master.  If this change is potentially destabilizing, we may
need to reassess our release schedule, so as to give this code more
time to mature.

Thanks.