Subject: bug#50225: closed (Re: bug#50225: 13.0.14; Non-file-visiting TeX buffers)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 19:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#50225: 13.0.14; Non-file-visiting TeX buffers

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
50225: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50225
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#50225: 13.0.14; Non-file-visiting TeX buffers
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:47:47 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Gustavo,

>>> I'm not up-to-date with the recent changes related to the issue.
>>
>> No, the problem is definitely there since 2016, no recent change
>> involved.
>
> Well, I was much surprised by this.  For I really do this frequently,
> and do it purposefully.  And have been doing it for some time.
> Creating a new directory in the process is what ensures I'm getting a
> clean slate, so I'm sure to do it.  And the first time I met the issue
> was the day I reported it.  Since I had just upgraded AUCTeX, I
> assumed it must have been it, wrongly, as it turns out.  But I did
> some checking now.  I reverted to v13.0.13, and the problem was there.
> Then to v13.0.12, and the problem was there.  I did upgrade my OS just
> this week (Mint 20.1 to 20.2 Cinnamon), so there might have been some
> change on `evince's side making it less lenient.

No no, the error comes from emacs complaining that it cannot set the
working directory for the shell to a directory which doesn't exist.

> Truth is: I don't know what changed, even though I'm convinced
> something has, recently.  But, as far as I can tell from my tests, I
> think you are right in saying it was not AUCTeX.

I just checked with an emacs 22 installation.  You get the very same
error there.

>> Should be fixed on master.  Please give it a try.
>
> I have, and can gladly report the issue is gone on my side with the
> fix.

That's all that matters. :-)

> Thank you very much.

You're welcome!

Bye,
Tassilo

Subject: 13.0.14; Non-file-visiting TeX buffers
From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:20:54 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi All,

Since the latest release (v13.0.14), I'm having problems opening a new 
`.tex' buffer (still non-file-visiting) when 
`TeX-view-evince-keep-focus' is `t'. As far as I can tell/recall, I did 
not face this until upgrading today (and this is a procedure I do 
commonly, but I did not rigorously test this to pin down the change).

An ECM to reproduce the issue is: start `emacs -Q'.

Do an initial setup:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.0.14")
(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-view-evince-keep-focus t)
#+end_src

Now, find a `.tex' file which does not yet exist, say "~/test/test.tex" 
with `C-x C-f test/test.tex RET'.

We then get the error "File mode specification error: (file-missing 
Setting current directory No such file or directory 
/home/gustavo/test/)".

The file itself gets opened in fundamental mode.

With `M-x toggle-debug-on-error' and repeating the procedure, we get the 
following backtrace (its final part):

#+begin_example
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-missing "Setting current directory" 
"No such file or directory" "/home/gustavo/test/")
  call-process("/bin/bash" nil t nil "-c" "atril --help")
  call-process-shell-command("atril --help" nil t)
  shell-command("atril --help" t)
  shell-command-to-string("atril --help")
  TeX-view-program-select-evince("mate" "atril")
  byte-code("\10\301\267\202\n\0\302\207\303\207\304\305\306\307\310\311DE\312\313\314\315\316\317\"\320BB\321\315\322\323\"\324BB\325\315\326\327\"\330BB\331BBBBB..." 
  [system-type #<hash-table eq 2/2 0x1568422eeb89> (("Yap" ("yap -1" 
  (mode-io-correlate " -s %n%b") " %o") "yap") ("dviout" ("dviout -1 " 
  ((paper-a4 paper-portrait) "-y=A4 ") ((paper-a4 paper-landscape) 
  "-y=A4L ") ((paper-a5 paper-portrait) "-y=A5 ") ((paper-a5 
  paper-landscape) "-y=A5L ") ((paper-b5 paper-portrait) "-y=E5 ") 
  ((paper-b5 paper-landscape) "-y=E5L ") ((paper-b4jis paper-portrait) 
  "-y=B4 ") ((paper-b4jis paper-landscape) "-y=B4L ") ((paper-b5jis 
  paper-portrait) "-y=B5 ") ((paper-b5jis paper-landscape) "-y=B5L ") 
  (paper-legal "-y=Legal ") (paper-letter "-y=Letter ") (paper-executive 
  "-y=Executive ") "%d" (mode-io-correlate " \"# %n '%b'\"")) "dviout") 
  ("PDF Tools" TeX-pdf-tools-sync-view) ("SumatraPDF" ("SumatraPDF 
  -reuse-instance" (mode-io-correlate " -forward-search \"%b\" %n") " 
  %o") "SumatraPDF") ("dvips and start" "dvips %d -o && start \"\" %f" 
  "dvips") ("start" "start \"\" %o")) (("Preview.app" "open -a 
  Preview.app %o" "open") ("Skim" "open -a Skim.app %o" "open") ("PDF 
  Tools" TeX-pdf-tools-sync-view) ("displayline" "displayline %n %o %b" 
  "displayline") ("open" "open %o" "open")) ("dvi2tty" ("dvi2tty -q -w 
  132 %o")) ("xdvi" ("%(o?)xdvi" (mode-io-correlate " -sourceposition 
  \"%n %b\" -editor \"%cS\"") ((paper-a4 paper-portrait) " -paper a4") 
  ((paper-a4 paper-landscape) " -paper a4r") ((paper-a5 paper-portrait) 
  " -paper a5") ((paper-a5 paper-landscape) " -paper a5r") (paper-b5 " 
  -paper b5") (paper-letter " -paper us") (paper-legal " -paper legal") 
  (paper-executive " -paper 7.25x10.5in") " %d") "%(o?)xdvi") "dvips and 
  gv" "%(o?)dvips %d -o && gv %f" "%(o?)dvips" "gv" ("gv" "gv %o" "gv") 
  ("xpdf" ("xpdf -remote %s -raise %o" (mode-io-correlate " 
  %(outpage)")) "xpdf") "Evince" TeX-view-program-select-evince "gnome" 
  "evince" ("evince") "Atril" "mate" "atril" ("atril") "Xreader" "x" 
  "reader" ("xreader") (("Okular" ("okular --unique %o" 
  (mode-io-correlate "#src:%n%a")) "okular") ("xdg-open" "xdg-open %o" 
  "xdg-open") ("PDF Tools" TeX-pdf-tools-sync-view) ("Zathura" ("zathura 
  %o" (mode-io-correlate " --synctex-forward %n:0:\"%b\" -x 
  \"emacsclient +%{li...")) "zathura"))] 11)
  (defvar TeX-view-program-list-builtin (byte-code 
  "\10\301\267\202\n\0\302\207\303\207\304\305\306\307\310\311DE\312\313\314\315\316\317\"\320BB\321\315\322\323\"\324BB\325\315\326\327\"\330BB\331BBBBB..." 
  [system-type #<hash-table eq 2/2 0x1568422eeb89> (("Yap" ("yap -1" 
  (mode-io-correlate " -s %n%b") " %o") "yap") ("dviout" ("dviout -1 " 
  ((paper-a4 paper-portrait) "-y=A4 ") ((paper-a4 paper-landscape) 
  "-y=A4L ") ((paper-a5 paper-portrait) "-y=A5 ") ((paper-a5 
  paper-landscape) "-y=A5L ") ((paper-b5 paper-portrait) "-y=E5 ") 
  ((paper-b5 paper-landscape) "-y=E5L ") ((paper-b4jis paper-portrait) 
  "-y=B4 ") ((paper-b4jis paper-landscape) "-y=B4L ") ((paper-b5jis 
  paper-portrait) "-y=B5 ") ((paper-b5jis paper-landscape) "-y=B5L ") 
  (paper-legal "-y=Legal ") (paper-letter "-y=Letter ") (paper-executive 
  "-y=Executive ") "%d" (mode-io-correlate " \"# %n '%b'\"")) "dviout") 
  ("PDF Tools" TeX-pdf-tools-sync-view) ("SumatraPDF" ("SumatraPDF 
  -reuse-instance" (mode-io-correlate " -forward-search \"%b\" %n") " 
  %o") "SumatraPDF") ("dvips and start" "dvips %d -o && start \"\" %f" 
  "dvips") ("start" "start \"\" %o")) (("Preview.app" "open -a 
  Preview.app %o" "open") ("Skim" "open -a Skim.app %o" "open") ("PDF 
  Tools" TeX-pdf-tools-sync-view) ("displayline" "displayline %n %o %b" 
  "displayline") ("open" "open %o" "open")) ("dvi2tty" ("dvi2tty -q -w 
  132 %o")) ("xdvi" ("%(o?)xdvi" (mode-io-correlate " -sourceposition 
  \"%n %b\" -editor \"%cS\"") ((paper-a4 paper-portrait) " -paper a4") 
  ((paper-a4 paper-landscape) " -paper a4r") ((paper-a5 paper-portrait) 
  " -paper a5") ((paper-a5 paper-landscape) " -paper a5r") (paper-b5 " 
  -paper b5") (paper-letter " -paper us") (paper-legal " -paper legal") 
  (paper-executive " -paper 7.25x10.5in") " %d") "%(o?)xdvi") "dvips and 
  gv" "%(o?)dvips %d -o && gv %f" "%(o?)dvips" "gv" ("gv" "gv %o" "gv") 
  ("xpdf" ("xpdf -remote %s -raise %o" (mode-io-correlate " 
  %(outpage)")) "xpdf") "Evince" TeX-view-program-select-evince "gnome" 
  "evince" ("evince") "Atril" "mate" "atril" ("atril") "Xreader" "x" 
  "reader" ("xreader") (("Okular" ("okular --unique %o" 
  (mode-io-correlate "#src:%n%a")) "okular") ("xdg-open" "xdg-open %o" 
  "xdg-open") ("PDF Tools" TeX-pdf-tools-sync-view) ("Zathura" ("zathura 
  %o" (mode-io-correlate " --synctex-forward %n:0:\"%b\" -x 
  \"emacsclient +%{li...")) "zathura"))] 11) 
  ("/home/gustavo/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.0.14/tex.elc" . 38206))
  TeX-tex-mode()
  apply(TeX-tex-mode nil)
  tex-mode()
  set-auto-mode-0(tex-mode nil)
  set-auto-mode()
  normal-mode(t)
  after-find-file(t t)
  find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer test.tex> "~/test/test.tex" nil nil 
  "~/test/test.tex" nil)
  find-file-noselect("~/test/test.tex" nil nil t)
  find-file("~/test/test.tex" t)
#+end_example

Best regards,
Gustavo.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-03-25
Package: 13.0.14

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2021-08-26"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex" 
 "/home/gustavo/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.0.14/style"
		  "/home/gustavo/.emacs.d/auctex/auto" 
		  "/home/gustavo/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save t
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX" "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) 
 %`%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode) :help "Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil 
		    (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t" 
		    TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) 
		    --html %t" TeX-run-compile nil
		     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with HTML 
		     output")
		    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) 
		    %S%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) 
		    %(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) 
		    %(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
		     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode context-mode) :help
		     "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %(output-dir) %s" TeX-run-Biber nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode) :help "Run Biber")
		    ("Texindex" "texindex %s.??" TeX-run-command nil 
		    (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texindex")
		    ("Texi2dvi" "%(PDF)texi2dvi %t" TeX-run-command nil 
		    (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Texi2dvi or Texi2pdf")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help 
		    "Run Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the 
		    file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View 
		    the printer queue" :visible
		     TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx -o %(O?pdf) %d" 
		    TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(d-dir) %s" 
		    TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run makeindex to create index file")
		    ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run upmendex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode 
		     texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil 
		    (latex-mode) :help
		     "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil 
		    (latex-mode) :help
		     "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" 
		    TeX-run-function nil t :help "Spell-check the 
		    document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help 
		    "Delete generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t 
		    :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an 
		    arbitrary command"))
 )