Subject: Re: bug#50225: 13.0.14; Non-file-visiting TeX buffers

From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 16:05:32 -0300

Hi Tassilo,

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 at 09:10, Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> The problem is that not just the tex file doesn't exist but the
>>> containing directory ~/test/ doesn't exist either.  But that seems 
>>> to
>>> be already set as `default-directory' so the shell commands testing
>>> for the availability of the evince-based viewers should run in a
>>> non-existend CWD.
>>
>> Well, I always create "throw away" test files under a "throw away"
>> dir, not to have to deal with stray `TeX-auto-local' directories 
>> mixed
>> with my actual files.  ;-)
>
> That's a sensible habit.  I guess you haven't seen that error 
> previously
> because you always opened another tex file in some existing directory
> first.  The error only occurred when tex.el was initially loaded while
> default-directory was set to some non-existent directory.
>
>> I'm not up-to-date with the recent changes related to the issue.
>
> No, the problem is definitely there since 2016, no recent change
> involved.
>

Well, I was much surprised by this.  For I really do this frequently, 
and do it purposefully.  And have been doing it for some time.  Creating 
a new directory in the process is what ensures I'm getting a clean 
slate, so I'm sure to do it.  And the first time I met the issue was the 
day I reported it.  Since I had just upgraded AUCTeX, I assumed it must 
have been it, wrongly, as it turns out.  But I did some checking now.  I 
reverted to v13.0.13, and the problem was there.  Then to v13.0.12, and 
the problem was there.  I did upgrade my OS just this week (Mint 20.1 to 
20.2 Cinnamon), so there might have been some change on `evince's side 
making it less lenient.  Truth is: I don't know what changed, even 
though I'm convinced something has, recently.  But, as far as I can tell 
from my tests, I think you are right in saying it was not AUCTeX.

>
> Should be fixed on master.  Please give it a try.
>

I have, and can gladly report the issue is gone on my side with the fix. 
Thank you very much.

Best,
Gustavo.