Subject: Re: bug#50224: 27.2; auto-save-visited-mode blanks out the echo area after 5 seconds

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 04:37:35 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

> So this has been troubling me for years, I thought it was just a part of
> how Emacs worked.  But it cannot be intended.  Often there are complex
> prompts that take time to read, such what lsp-mode asks you upon
> visiting a .sh buffer.  Then after 5 seconds, the prompt text
> disappears, but the minibuffer is still active and awaiting your reply.
>
> To test it:
>
> - M-x auto-save-visited-mode
> - edit any buffer
> - eval (message "foo")
> - wait 5 secs
>
> You'll see "foo" disappear.

Is previously noted, this doesn't seem to be reproducible in a stock
Emacs (i.e., "emacs -Q"), so perhaps this is caused by something in your
configuration?  Can you reproduce the problem with "emacs -Q"?

Also note that messaging when there's an active minibuffer has been
changed in Emacs 28 so that it'll never overwrite the prompt (but
instead add a [message] to the end of the echo area).

Finally, note that you can set `set-message-function' to filter out any
messages that you don't want to have happen.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no