Subject: 28.0.50; org-babel-tangle-file tangles code blocks starting with #+begin_src :tangle no

From: Tassilo Neubauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 00:53:00 +0200

Hello,

Here are the steps that led to code blocks being tangled I did not 
expect to:

emacs -Q
C-x C-h: ~/org-roam/example.org
content of example.org (excluding "):
"
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq some-emacs-lisp-variable t)
#+end_src

#+begin_src :tangle no
;;This line should not be in the elisp code
#+end_src
"

open scratch buffer through menu.
type into scratch buffer:
(org-bable-tangle-file "/home/tassilo/org-roam/example.org"
"/home/tassilo/org-roam/example.el")
M-x:emacs-lisp-mode
Select (with mouse) the above line and evaluate region through menu.
I see in the minibuffer: "Tangled 2 code blocks from example.org"
After typing C-h C-f: ~/org-roam/example.el
I see the file content of "example.el" (excluding "):
"
(setq some-emacs-lisp-variable t)

;;This line should not be in the elisp code

"

This is not what I expected. I would have expected that the code block
with ":tangle no" added would not be tangled. That is how I understood
this section of the org-manual:
(https://orgmode.org/manual/Extracting-Source-Code.html)
"The ‘tangle’ header argument specifies if the code block is exported to
source file(s). [...] 'no' The default. Do not extract the code in a
source code file. Example: ‘:tangle no’."

For more details see content of the dribble file:

org-roam/ex<tab>ample.org<return><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><menu-bar><buffer><down-mouse-1><mouse-1><down-mouse-3><mouse-3>(org-babl<backspace>el--<backspace>tangle-file 
"/home<tab><tab>/tassilo/org-roam/example.org" 
"/home/tassilo/org-roam/example.el")<down-mouse-1><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><drag-mouse-1><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><down-mouse-1><mouse-1> 
0x8000078emacs-lisp-mode<return><down-mouse-1><down-mouse-1><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><mouse-movement><drag-mouse-1><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><menu-bar><emacs-lisp><Evaluate 
Region><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo>org-o<backspace>roam/ex<tab>ample.el<return><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><menu-bar><file><kill-buffer><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><help-echo><menu-bar><file><exit-emacs>%

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.25, cairo version 1.16.0)
of 2021-08-08 built on pop-os
Repository revision: adab672edb3fad0851a52e3b6ccf3ac31c80b025
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Pop!_OS 21.04

Configured using:
'configure --with-native-compilation --with-json'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
help-mode seq byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils iso-transl
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87654 11639)
(symbols 48 7815 1)
(strings 32 21574 2637)
(string-bytes 1 739489)
(vectors 16 16598)
(vector-slots 8 275849 15130)
(floats 8 28 33)
(intervals 56 476 0)
(buffers 992 12))

Cheers,

Tassilo