Subject: bug#50212: Several tests fail, Bash fails often. Was: Tests fail while building Guix

From: Simon Streit <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:32:25 +0200

Hello Maxime,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:
> Some questions:
>
> * What's the hash of gnu/packages/bootstrap/i686-linux/bash?
>
>   (Run guix hash gnu/packages/bootstrap/i686-linux/bash)
>
>   I have 1ig8a4bhc7fpw8zrnw4l568wmmcb29rlwg4jbih3imb4x6d9l1gd.
>   If you see something different, your copy is probably corrupt.

The hash is: 1ig8a4bhc7fpw8zrnw4l568wmmcb29rlwg4jbih3imb4x6d9l1gd

> * What does ‘objdump -a gnu/packages/bootstrap/i686-linux/bash’ output?
>   On my x86_64 system, it outputs ‘[...] file format elf32-i386’.

Result is:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
./bash:     file format elf32-i386
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> * What architecture are you on?

And: x86_64-linux system.

I just updated my system to a8dd285d5a0670abf124a721e6ba94da045b24ba and
am building 76114232d7c140fb9fee84510b72fcfe6ee27714, which failed again.

Early on I installed Guix into a VM, and built the sources in there
on a pretty much default config from the installer.  All tests passed.

Just to be sure I did another clean clone on my main machine, which
failed again.

So why would my system brake the bootstrap binary?  Has it got to do
with a particular package I have in my profile(s)?  I generally build
Guix with ‘guix environment --pure guix.’  I have a second Guix build
machine running.  The packages used there are quite similar, so these
two machines have very similar checkouts and config in general.  Hence,
when I build Guix there, the same error occurs.

Simon