Subject: bug#50207: 28.0.50; ansi-color-compilation-filter and rgrep

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 12:10:33 +0100

found 50207 25.1
quit

Manuel Uberti [2021-08-26 07:57 +0200] wrote:

> From 'emacs -Q', this is what I did:
>
> - (add-hook 'compilation-filter-hook #'ansi-color-compilation-filter)
> - M-x rgrep RET
> - setq RET
> - RET
> - ~/emacs RET (this is where I keep the entire Emacs source code)
>
> As you can see from the attached image, some of the results are red and some are
> not. This is not happening without ansi-color-compilation-filter.y

I can reproduce the issue in Emacs 25.1 and newer, but not in 24.5
(configuration below signature), with the following modified recipe:

0. emacs -Q
1. (add-hook 'compilation-filter-hook
             (lambda ()
               (ansi-color-apply-on-region compilation-filter-start
                                           (point))))
2. C-x C-e
3. M-x rgrep RET
4. setq RET RET /dir/of/emacs/trunk RET
5. ...twiddle thumbs...
6. C-c C-k

Loading the 24.5 versions of ansi-color.el and compile.el in 25.1
between steps 0 and 1 does not seem to change anything.

Thanks,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-01-02 on tia
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 `configure CC=clang 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native'
 --prefix=/home/blc/.local --program-suffix=-24 --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-x'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Grep

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
((lambda nil (ansi-color-apply-on-region compilation-filter-start (point))))
Grep interrupt

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils find-dired dired grep compile
comint ansi-color ring time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-08-26 built on tia
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure CC=clang 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native'
 --prefix=/home/blc/.local --program-suffix=-25.1 --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-x --with-modules'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Grep

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
((lambda nil (ansi-color-apply-on-region compilation-filter-start (point))))
Mark set
Grep interrupt

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils find-dired dired thingatpt grep compile
comint ansi-color ring time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)