Subject: bug#50205: 27.2; crashes or hangs when opening a specific file using tramp

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 09:06:42 +0200

Mani Kancherla <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Mani,

> I followed the steps and could successfully compile using "M-x
> tramp-recompile-elpa" and restart emacs after that (without -L ~
> /.emacs.d/elpa/tramp-2.5.1.1 -l tramp). I verified that it is running
> tramp version 2.5.1.1 with M-x tramp-version.

Good.

> I still see the problem with this. I open that specific problematic
> file and split the window, it hangs.

Just to be sure, I reran your test, again. No problem.

You said that you're on macOS, while I'm using GNU/Linux. Perhaps this
makes the difference, and we see an error of Emacs' thread
implementation on macOS.

It would be helpful, if somebody else could run your test on macOS,
using the Tramp ELPA package, for verification.

> Thanks,
> Mani

Best regards, Michael.