Subject: bug#50205: 27.2; crashes or hangs when opening a specific file using tramp

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 10:13:09 +0200

Mani Kancherla <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Mani,

> I just did one more quick test. I renamed .emacs.d/elpa where I only
> have the newer version tramp to .emacs.d/elpa-bak. That seems to fix
> the problem.
> Mani
>
>     I verified that "emacs -Q" has no issues. I can reproduce the
>     issue consistently without "-Q". Any information I can collect
>     that will help debug the issue?

Thanks for the feedback. I've tried to reproduce the problem with your
test file and with both Emacs 28.0.50 and 27.2, and the recent Tramp
2.5.2-pre, with no success.

Which Tramp version do you use? Check variable tramp-version.

Has it been compiled for Emacs 27.2? You can check this in
~/.emacs.d/elpa/tramp-<version>/tramp.elc.

Perhaps you deinstall the ELPA Tramp package, and reinstall it (2.5.1.1
is the recent version, will be 2.5.1.2 next days). Does it behave
better?

>     Thanks,
>     Mani

Best regards, Michael.