Subject: bug#5022 closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#5020: 23.1.50; error on loading message library)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:30:05 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#5020: 23.1.50; Symbol's value as variable is void: mail-envelope-from

It has been closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
5020: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5020
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#5020: 23.1.50; error on loading message library
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:26:16 -0500

2009-11-24  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka at jpl.org>

    * message.el (message-from-style, message-interactive)
    (message-signature): Always set default values from the
    corresponding mail-* variables.
    (message-cite-prefix-regexp, message-sendmail-envelope-from)
    (message-yank-prefix, message-indentation-spaces)
    (message-signature-file, message-default-headers): Use boundp
    rather than (featurep 'xemacs) to check if the corresponding
    mail-* variables exist.

Subject: 23.1.50; Symbol's value as variable is void: mail-envelope-from
From: [email-masked] (Óscar Fuentes)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:58:16 +0100

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

When gnus is invoked, it fails with this error:

eval: Symbol's value as variable is void: mail-envelope-from

If this line is commented out from custom-set-variables on my .emacs:

'(message-send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))

the error does not happen.

This is the backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable mail-envelope-from)
  (if (featurep (quote xemacs)) nil mail-envelope-from)
  eval((if (featurep (quote xemacs)) nil mail-envelope-from))
  custom-initialize-reset(message-sendmail-envelope-from (if (featurep (quote xemacs)) nil mail-envelope-from))
  custom-declare-variable(message-sendmail-envelope-from (if (featurep (quote xemacs)) nil mail-envelope-from) ("/home/oscar/dev/other/emacs/lisp/gnus/message.elc" . -29489) :version "22.1" :type (choice (string :tag "From name") (const :tag "Use From: header from message" header) (const :tag "Use `user-mail-address'" nil)) :link (custom-manual "(message)Mail Variables") :group message-sending)
  require(message)
  byte-code("\300\301!\210\300\302!\210\300\303!\210\304\305\306\"\210\304\307\306\"\210\304\310\306\"\210\304\311\306\"\207" [require gnus message gnus-range autoload gnus-agent-expire "gnus-agent" gnus-agent-regenerate-group gnus-agent-read-servers-validate-native gnus-agent-possibly-synchronize-flags-server] 3)
  require(gnus-int)
  byte-code("\300\301!\210\300\302!\210\300\303!\210\300\304!\210\300\305!\210\300\306!\210\307\310\311\"\210\307\312\313\"\210\307\314\313\"\210\307\315\313\"\207" [require gnus gnus-win gnus-int gnus-spec gnus-range gnus-util autoload message-make-date "message" gnus-agent-read-servers-validate "gnus-agent" gnus-agent-save-local gnus-agent-possibly-alter-active] 3)
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  ad-Orig-gnus(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/home/oscar/dev/other/emacs/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2009-11-23 on qcore
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10604000
configured using `configure  '--without-xaw3d' '--with-x-toolkit=athena''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x s e t SPC d e b u g SPC <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
t - v a r i <tab> <return> s e t - d e b u g - o n 
<tab> <backspace> <backspace> <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> d e 
b u g - o n <tab> e r r <tab> <return> t <return> M-x 
g n u s <return> M-x a b o r t SPC r e <tab> <return> 
C-x b b a c C-g M-x g n s <return> <backspace> u s 
<return> <up> C-SPC <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> M-w <f11> <f10> <menu-bar> <help-menu> 
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
timeclock-find-discrep
Loading vc-svn...done
Mark set
Loading `~/.emacs': old-style backquotes detected!
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
call-interactively: Text is read-only
Entering debugger...
Quit [2 times]
Entering debugger...
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mail-extr message emacsbug sendmail help-mode view debug
ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash gnus-win
gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr cus-edit cus-start cus-load vc-dispatcher vc-svn parse-time
vc-cvs find-func timeclock timeclock-x compile comint lp0-mode preview
prv-emacs info reporter desktop latex tex-style tex-buf tex tex-site
auto-loads paren uniquify server psvn byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
derived edmacro kmacro wid-edit cl cl-19 log-edit ring pcvs-util add-log
diff-mode easy-mmode pp elp ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-mult
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util dired easymenu bbdb-autoloads bbdb
regexp-opt timezone iswitchb advice help-fns advice-preload tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)