Subject: bug#50189: wdired chmod should not follow symlinks (Bug#11912 followup)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 08:28:02 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yeah, editing the permissions doesn't seem to work for me in dired.  If
> I start with
>
>   -rw-r--r--  1 larsi      larsi       329K Aug 21 18:22 IMG_4478.JPG
>
> and press DEL after the final dash, it'll delete the dash and then say
> "Text is read only", leaving me with:
>
>   -rw-r--r-  1 larsi      larsi       329K Aug 21 18:22 IMG_4478.JPG
>
> And then I can't insert anything there, because it's now read-only.  So
> something is wonky in the way wdired tries to make certain bits of the
> line read-only.

Setting wdired-allow-to-change-permissions to t or `advanced' made this
work -- you can't really edit the permissions without that.

So I guess there's nothing more to be done here...