Subject: bug#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:31:45 +0200

Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Sam,

>> I'm not even sure we could provide a user option for this -- if we're
>> not using the normal default directory here, which one should we choose
>> for `default-directory'?  "~/"?  "/"?
>
> (default-value 'default-directory)

This is nil. `default-directory' has only buffer-local values.

>> If starting calendar while in a Tramp buffer is problematic for you,
>> then I think the solution is to not do that, I'm afraid.
>
> 1. calendar is not the only non-file-connected buffer

Sure. But we have catched similar errors in other packages already. And
fixed them.

> 2. when calendar is called from midnight-hook, I cannot select which
> buffer calendar starts in.

Yes. So let Tramp catch the traces, setting tramp-verbose to 10.

Best regards, Michael.