Subject: bug#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:25:56 -0400

> * Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> [2022-09-16 11:41:48 +0200]:
>
> Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> `default-directory' should be remote only when there is a definite
>> reason for that (IOW, for remote files and directories),
>> it should not be inherited by non-file buffers at random.
>
> It would be a break with how Emacs has worked for decades, so I don't
> think that's something we could do in general.

;-(

> I'm not even sure we could provide a user option for this -- if we're
> not using the normal default directory here, which one should we choose
> for `default-directory'?  "~/"?  "/"?

(default-value 'default-directory)

> If starting calendar while in a Tramp buffer is problematic for you,
> then I think the solution is to not do that, I'm afraid.

1. calendar is not the only non-file-connected buffer
2. when calendar is called from midnight-hook, I cannot select which
buffer calendar starts in.

-- 
Sam Steingold (https://aphar.dreamwidth.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
https://lastingimpactpsychology.com https://steingoldpsychology.com
https://www.peaceandtolerance.org/ https://honestreporting.com
Isn't "Microsoft Works" an advertisement lie?