Subject: Re: bug#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:48:29 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> `default-directory' should be remote only when there is a definite
>> reason for that (IOW, for remote files and directories),
>> it should not be inherited by non-file buffers at random.
>
> It would be a break with how Emacs has worked for decades, so I don't
> think that's something we could do in general.
>
> I'm not even sure we could provide a user option for this -- if we're
> not using the normal default directory here, which one should we choose
> for `default-directory'?  "~/"?  "/"?

I agree.

> If starting calendar while in a Tramp buffer is problematic for you,
> then I think the solution is to not do that, I'm afraid.

If the problem is reproducible, we shall catch it. Set tramp-verbose to
10. Next morning, when the Tramp problem has appeared, the Tramp debug
buffer shall tell us what happened. Please show the buffer.

Best regards, Michael.