Subject: Re: bug#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 12:10:03 -0400

> * Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> [2022-09-15 12:36:00 +0200]:
>
> Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> _However_, I just called calendar from a Tramp buffer and the *Calendar*
>> buffer's `default-directory' is a tramp directory.
>>
>> I don't think this is right.
>
> I think it's common behavior.  Does it cause trouble?

Yes.

Local disk access is fast compared to Tramp (that may take forever and
then actually fail). Thus a simple C-x C-f from a buffer with a remote
`default-directory' can become a nightmare - before I even see the
prompt.

`default-directory' should be remote only when there is a definite
reason for that (IOW, for remote files and directories),
it should not be inherited by non-file buffers at random.

Thank you!

-- 
Sam Steingold (https://aphar.dreamwidth.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
https://lastingimpactpsychology.com https://steingoldpsychology.com
https://ij.org/ https://honestreporting.com https://www.peaceandtolerance.org/
Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a nice rock.