Subject: bug#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 05:24:54 +0200

Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:

> >> (because `.' is a part of `load-path'
> >
> > Ok, but it's not there by default, right?
>
> I have no idea why it was there (it is not there now!)
> I am not even sure if it was there then.
> My only point is that disk access triggered from a buffer with a tramp
> `default-directory' results in tramp being activated and trying to
> touch the remote.
> Dunno why.
> My theory was `load-path', looks like I was wrong.

Not really: your backtrace very much looks like the function
`calendar-cursor-to-visible-date' was autoloaded.  Autoloads don't
contain complete paths, they only contain relative file names.  So the
`load-path' is searched, and if "." or nil is at the beginning, the
default-directory is searched first.  Else the standard file would have
been found before default-directory is touched.  Quite plausible that
this is what you saw.

Michael.