Subject: bug#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar

From: Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:06:01 -0400

I get this trace:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  tramp-file-name-handler(file-readable-p "/scp:remote:/path/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/cal-move.so")
  calendar-cursor-to-visible-date((8 24 2021))
  calendar-generate-window(8 2021)
  calendar-basic-setup(nil)
  calendar()
  run-hooks(midnight-hook)
  apply(run-hooks midnight-hook)
  timer-event-handler([t 24869 56416 388128 86400 run-hooks (midnight-hook) nil 0])
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I do have a file "/scp:remote:/path/foo/bar/baz.py" open.
"remote" is not accessible because the VPN is down.
"/scp:remote:/path/" is the location of the .git directory for baz.py.
"remote" is linux, localhost is mac. of course there is no
Contents/Resources/site-lisp/cal-move.so on "remote".
How come "calendar" calls "tramp"?
when I click on the function name in *Backtrace* to get to the source
code, tramp is called and I get an infinite loop of
"Tramp: Opening connection nil for remote using scp...failed"
I have to C-g and M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections to get back to editing.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS appkit-1894.60 Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H1323))
 of 2021-08-23 built on 3c22fb11fdab.ant.amazon.com
Repository revision: 00edc8329a6277f2e5b5204efbe503e2b7957006
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.7

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/gnutls/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/jansson/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libtiff/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libjpeg/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/freetype/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE
NS PDUMPER PNG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: VC dir

Minor modes in effect:
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
Error during checking
Features:
(tramp-cmds smiley gnus-cite qp gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-dup gnus-ml
hl-line disp-table spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual utf-7 gnus-cache bbdb-gnus
nntp smtpmail shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 mail-extr
gnus-msg emacsbug sendmail vc-mtn vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
vc-dir ewoc cl-print debug backtrace dabbrev skeleton misearch
multi-isearch rx color autoload lisp-mnt mm-archive gnutls
network-stream url-http url-gw nsm url-cache url-auth finder-inf package
add-log vc-hg vc-bzr tramp-cache remember vc cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
bug-reference conf-mode company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-template company-cmake company-bbdb
yasnippet-snippets yasnippet flymake-proc flymake company-capf company
pcase help-fns radix-tree elpy edmacro kmacro elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell
esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups
esh-util elpy-shell elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor ido grep
compile etags fileloop xref project cus-edit pp cus-start python
tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell ls-lisp flyspell ispell org-element avl-tree
generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt cl-extra help-mode
speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif
ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-x view
cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs bbdb-anniv cal-iso
cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian solar cal-dst vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
vc-dispatcher appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs midnight warnings gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone edit-server
advice server winner ring which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib
cus-load info iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1907075 184330)
 (symbols 48 42376 26)
 (strings 32 404355 48896)
 (string-bytes 1 11953164)
 (vectors 16 124222)
 (vector-slots 8 2158656 320801)
 (floats 8 1033 615)
 (intervals 56 173673 4887)
 (buffers 992 62))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1894
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://jij.org https://www.dhimmitude.org https://www.peaceandtolerance.org/
Genius is immortal, but morons live longer.