Subject: bug#50187: closed (Re: bug#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
50187: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50187
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 03:02:13 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Cc: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>>>  Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
>>> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 17:43:17 -0400
>>>
>>> It makes perfect sense for *occur* to inherit `default-directory', and
>>> no sense for calendar.
>>
>> Then "M-x calendar" should take care of setting the default-directory
>> of its buffer.  It cannot be done by the infrastructure, because in
>> many cases when a buffer is created, Emacs doesn't yet know its future
>> purpose.
>>
>> But we are arguing about issues that might be purely academic.
>> Michael asked you to collect some Tramp-related data, so he could look
>> into what happens in this particular case.  Please provide him the
>> data he asked for: it could very well lead to a simple and
>> uncontroversial solution.
>
> We seem to need more information here to make any progress.  Without
> that information, I don't think it makes sense to keep this bug open.
>
> Sam, could you please try to collect the information that Michael has
> asked for?  Thanks in advance.

More information was requested, but none was given within 4 months, so
I'm closing this bug.

If this is still an issue, please reply to this email (use "Reply to
all" in your email client) and we can reopen the bug report.

Subject: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar
From: Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:06:01 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I get this trace:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  tramp-file-name-handler(file-readable-p "/scp:remote:/path/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/cal-move.so")
  calendar-cursor-to-visible-date((8 24 2021))
  calendar-generate-window(8 2021)
  calendar-basic-setup(nil)
  calendar()
  run-hooks(midnight-hook)
  apply(run-hooks midnight-hook)
  timer-event-handler([t 24869 56416 388128 86400 run-hooks (midnight-hook) nil 0])
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I do have a file "/scp:remote:/path/foo/bar/baz.py" open.
"remote" is not accessible because the VPN is down.
"/scp:remote:/path/" is the location of the .git directory for baz.py.
"remote" is linux, localhost is mac. of course there is no
Contents/Resources/site-lisp/cal-move.so on "remote".
How come "calendar" calls "tramp"?
when I click on the function name in *Backtrace* to get to the source
code, tramp is called and I get an infinite loop of
"Tramp: Opening connection nil for remote using scp...failed"
I have to C-g and M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections to get back to editing.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS appkit-1894.60 Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H1323))
 of 2021-08-23 built on 3c22fb11fdab.ant.amazon.com
Repository revision: 00edc8329a6277f2e5b5204efbe503e2b7957006
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.7

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/gnutls/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/jansson/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libtiff/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libjpeg/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/freetype/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE
NS PDUMPER PNG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: VC dir

Minor modes in effect:
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
Error during checking
Features:
(tramp-cmds smiley gnus-cite qp gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-dup gnus-ml
hl-line disp-table spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual utf-7 gnus-cache bbdb-gnus
nntp smtpmail shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 mail-extr
gnus-msg emacsbug sendmail vc-mtn vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
vc-dir ewoc cl-print debug backtrace dabbrev skeleton misearch
multi-isearch rx color autoload lisp-mnt mm-archive gnutls
network-stream url-http url-gw nsm url-cache url-auth finder-inf package
add-log vc-hg vc-bzr tramp-cache remember vc cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
bug-reference conf-mode company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-template company-cmake company-bbdb
yasnippet-snippets yasnippet flymake-proc flymake company-capf company
pcase help-fns radix-tree elpy edmacro kmacro elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell
esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups
esh-util elpy-shell elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor ido grep
compile etags fileloop xref project cus-edit pp cus-start python
tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell ls-lisp flyspell ispell org-element avl-tree
generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt cl-extra help-mode
speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif
ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-x view
cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs bbdb-anniv cal-iso
cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian solar cal-dst vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
vc-dispatcher appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs midnight warnings gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone edit-server
advice server winner ring which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib
cus-load info iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1907075 184330)
 (symbols 48 42376 26)
 (strings 32 404355 48896)
 (string-bytes 1 11953164)
 (vectors 16 124222)
 (vector-slots 8 2158656 320801)
 (floats 8 1033 615)
 (intervals 56 173673 4887)
 (buffers 992 62))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1894
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://jij.org https://www.dhimmitude.org https://www.peaceandtolerance.org/
Genius is immortal, but morons live longer.