Subject: bug#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 01:36:56 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Cc: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>>  Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
>> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 17:43:17 -0400
>>
>> It makes perfect sense for *occur* to inherit `default-directory', and
>> no sense for calendar.
>
> Then "M-x calendar" should take care of setting the default-directory
> of its buffer.  It cannot be done by the infrastructure, because in
> many cases when a buffer is created, Emacs doesn't yet know its future
> purpose.
>
> But we are arguing about issues that might be purely academic.
> Michael asked you to collect some Tramp-related data, so he could look
> into what happens in this particular case.  Please provide him the
> data he asked for: it could very well lead to a simple and
> uncontroversial solution.

We seem to need more information here to make any progress.  Without
that information, I don't think it makes sense to keep this bug open.

Sam, could you please try to collect the information that Michael has
asked for?  Thanks in advance.