Subject: Re: bug#50187: 28.0.50; tramp is called from calendar

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:30:28 +0000

>> It's not clear to me what the "fix" would be here, can you explain what 
>> you have in mind?
>
> 1. `default-directory' should have a global default, see above
>
> 2. new buffers should inherit `default-directory' from the global 
> default instead of the previous buffer from which this one was created.
>

That fix would break *lots* of code.  There's a good reason that the 
default value of non-file-visiting buffers is inherited from that of the 
buffer from which they were created: it is, in most cases, the 
default-directory value that is expected and useful in that buffer. 
Think of cases like occur, grep, compilation, diff, dired, and so forth. 
It is much better to manually fix the few cases in which you do not want 
to inherit its value.

What would perhaps be feasible would be to add a variable similar to 
display-buffer-alist: an alist of user-defined conditional values for 
default-directory.