Subject: Re: bug#50179: [UPDATED PATCH] Add support for "bright" ANSI colors to ansi-color and term-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:45:48 +0200

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

> There's one further enhancement that might make sense here: currently,
> color values are set via a vector of strings for `ansi-color', whereas
> they're set via faces for `term-mode'. Would it be better to use faces
> for `ansi-color' too? Perhaps they should even be the *same* faces; is
> there any reason an Emacs user (or package) would want ANSI colors to
> be different between `ansi-color' and `term-mode'? If so, maybe each
> `term-color-FOO' face should inherit from the (hypothetical)
> corresponding `ansi-color-FOO' face?

It seems like term.el was reworked in

commit ae4969c2d69a74c896eb49c9a34aeb645ffed082
Author:     Julien Danjou <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Thu Jun 28 12:40:24 2012 +0200

to use faces instead of colour names, but ansi-color wasn't.  Looking at
the code in both ansi-color and term, I think it would indeed make sense
to rework ansi-color to use faces, too, and inheriting like you suggest
makes sense to me.  (We generally prefer using faces instead of colour
names these days.)  But:

> However, maybe there's a particular reason why `ansi-color' works this
> way that I'm not aware of. If the current way is best, that's fine by
> me too. Otherwise, just let me know and I can update the patches to
> include `ansi-color-FOO' faces.

I'm not really very familiar with ansi-color.el.  Does anybody else have
an opinion here?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no