Subject: bug#50179: [PATCH] Add support for "bright" ANSI colors to ansi-color and term-mode

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 09:06:35 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > I wouldn't offer a customizable list for this: users have no
>> > particular reason to redefine standard colors.
>> 
>> I made this a defcustom because `ansi-color-faces-vector' and
>> `ansi-color-names-vector' are defcustoms too. More practically
>> speaking, I'd want to customize this new variable to make these colors
>> match the Emacs theme I use. I chose colors in this patch to
>> complement `ansi-color-names-vector', but they'd clash with my theme.
>
> How can named colors change with the theme?  Faces can, but colors are
> absolute.  Bright-yellow is the same color whatever the theme.  At
> least IMO.  I wonder if others think otherwise.

FWIW, a couple of Emacs's built-in themes set these ansi-color options.
See e.g. the Modus themes, which are designed to meet WCAG's highest
standards for colour contrast.

Maybe there's an analogy to make with terminal emulators?  Most of those
(e.g. Konsole, Terminator, Xfce's) allow the user to customize the
16-color palette.

Digging into the history of this 4-bit palette[1], it almost seems like
no two consoles ever used the exact same colors, so these color names
might not be as absolute as say, HTML color names[2].

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code#Colors
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors#HTML_color_names