Subject: Re: bug#50166: 28.0.50; ECM for possible process-status/sentinel bug

From: Adam Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 07:14:18 -0500

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 3:41 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >> As an aside, I tried removing the :stderr argument to make-process in
> >> my plz.el library, but unfortunately it did not help the problem I'm
> >> observing there: that running ERT tests in series, with curl processes
> >> started in quick succession (though only one at a time) leads to
> >> failing tests, apparently related to sentinels not being called after
> >> a process's output has been collected (and running the tests
> >> individually almost always succeeds).
> >
> > If you could come up with a minimal test case for that, that'd be nice.
>
> Did you make any further progress here?

Not yet.  I've been busy with other projects, needed to work on some I
could actually make progress on.  ;)  I intend to look at this again,
but I don't know how soon.  If you have any general advice for this
kind of process-object-related debugging, I'd be grateful.  I've spent
too much time on this doing things that don't make any difference and
don't seem to narrow down the problem space.

For example, am I misusing sentinels here?  In elfeed-curl, Chris
Wellons uses (run-at-time 0 ...) to do most of the response-processing
outside of the sentinel.  I don't know if that's elegant and/or a
hack, and I don't know if it even matters, but trying to fix this
problem in plz.el has felt like throwing wet noodles at a wall and
hoping something sticks.