Subject: Re: bug#50166: 28.0.50; ECM for possible process-status/sentinel bug

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:06:39 +0200

Adam Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

> (The fact that
> "process" seems to have some extra meanings in the context--it refers
> not only to the program called with `make-process'--seems to add to
> the difficulty of reasoning and communicating about these issues.)

"Process" in Emacs just refers to a "process object" -- it's not tied to
the Unix concept of a process, really.  (But Unix processes are
interacted with via Emacs process objects normally.  :-))

An Emacs process object is something that perhaps gives you bytes and
might accept bytes, so it's a network connection, a UDP server, a
socket, a pipe, a tty, a serial connection or a Unix process.  (And
probably other things I'm forgetting.)

> As an aside, I tried removing the :stderr argument to make-process in
> my plz.el library, but unfortunately it did not help the problem I'm
> observing there: that running ERT tests in series, with curl processes
> started in quick succession (though only one at a time) leads to
> failing tests, apparently related to sentinels not being called after
> a process's output has been collected (and running the tests
> individually almost always succeeds).

If you could come up with a minimal test case for that, that'd be nice.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no