Subject: Re: bug#50160: 28.0.50; Wrong NSToolbarItem identifier

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:59:28 +0100

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 02:33:40AM +0900, tsuucat wrote:
> 
> > Ah, hmm... Perhaps we should append the label text to the hash or
> > something?
> 
> I tried to append the label text to the hash. Most items fixed. But 
> isearch.el uses “undo” icon and “Undo” label for isearch-delete-char item
> so the tool-tip is wrong…
> It is hard to set correct identifier because anyone can create toolbar items 
> dynamically in Emacs lisp.
> 
> I noticed the current toolbaritem problem only matters label and tool-tip.
> Executed commands are not wrong.

I suppose we could concatenate the hashes of all the values that might
matter.

Alternatively maybe we just don't cache the toolbar items? I don't
know if that's worth investigating. My experience with some other
areas of the NS port is that there's a lot of caching and things going
on that doesn't seem to actually save us anything, but the toolbar can
be refreshed very often in the right circumstances, so it may be best
to keep the cache.
-- 
Alan Third