Subject: bug#50152: Weird characters (eg: â\200\220) are displayed when browsing man pages in Emacs

From: Jehu Amanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 17:37:24 +0530

Vist the man page in this following order : C-x RET c utf-8 RET M-x man RET
memset RET

The following is the output:

MEMSET(3)                  Linux Programmer's Manual
MEMSET(3)

NAME
       memset - fill memory with a constant byte

SYNOPSIS
       #include <string.h>

       void *memset(void *s, int c, size_t n);

DESCRIPTION
       The  memset()  function  fills  the  first  n  bytes of the memory
area
       pointed to by s with the constant byte c.

RETURN VALUE
       The memset() function returns a pointer to the memory area s.

ATTRIBUTES
       For an  explanation  of  the  terms  used  in  this  section,  see
 atâ€â€
       tributes(7).

 â”Œâ”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”¬â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”¬â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”

       â”‚Interface â”‚ Attribute     â”‚ Value   â”‚

 â”œâ”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”¼â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”¼â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”¤
       â”‚memset()  â”‚ Thread safety â”‚ MT-Safe â”‚

 â””â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”´â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”´â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”˜
CONFORMING TO
       POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C89, C99, SVr4, 4.3BSD.

SEE ALSO
       bstring(3), bzero(3), swab(3), wmemset(3)

COLOPHON
       This  page  is  part of release 5.05 of the Linux man-pages project.
 A
       description of the project, information about reporting bugs,  and
 the
       latest     version     of     this    page,    can    be    found
 at
       https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/.

GNU                               2017-03-13
MEMSET(3)

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-07-17 built on electriphi
Repository revision: 109c27341e35fae778b95e0eb5d4d72927bf4ea8
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-json --with-mailutils --with-gnutls
 --with-json --with-harfbuzz --with-imagemagick --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-wide-int --with-xft --with-xml2
 --with-xpm --without-compress-install --with-x-toolkit=no --with-gnutls
 --without-gconf --without-xwidgets --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-xaw3d --without-gsettings --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation prefix=/usr/local 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0
 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer' LDFLAGS=-ggdb3'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY OLDXMENU
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE XIM XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  dap-tooltip-mode: t
  dap-ui-many-windows-mode: t
  dap-ui-controls-mode: t
  dap-ui-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: deferred
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  edebug-mode: t
  dap-auto-configure-mode: t
  dap-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  global-emojify-mode: t
  emojify-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jehu/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20210712.1626/transient hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(nnfolder utf-7 recentf helm-x-files helm-for-files helm-bookmark
helm-adaptive treemacs-bookmarks bookmark nndraft nnmh gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr kinsoku
svg gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
nnheader reveal epa-file image-file image-converter helm-external
helm-net mailalias mailclient qp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
lsp-diagnostics company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags
fileloop generator company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company lsp-headerline lsp-icons
lsp-modeline dap-mouse dap-ui lsp-treemacs lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs
treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode
treemacs-interface treemacs-extensions treemacs-mouse-interface
treemacs-tags treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode
treemacs-follow-mode treemacs-rendering treemacs-async
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-scope pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros gdb-mi gud bui
bui-list bui-info bui-entry bui-core bui-history bui-button bui-utils
lsp-lens lsp-ui lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc goto-addr lsp-ui-imenu
lsp-ui-peek lsp-ui-sideline flycheck lsp-ui-util face-remap view cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs ffap editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
editorconfig-fnmatch dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs winner tramp-archive
tramp-gvfs tramp-cache zeroconf dbus xml helm-command helm-elisp
helm-eval edebug backtrace find-func helm-info lsp-zig lsp-steep
lsp-svelte lsp-sqls lsp-yaml lsp-xml lsp-vimscript lsp-vhdl lsp-vetur
lsp-html lsp-verilog lsp-vala lsp-v lsp-terraform lsp-tex lsp-sorbet
lsp-solargraph lsp-rust derived lsp-rf lsp-r lsp-purescript lsp-pylsp
lsp-pyls lsp-pwsh lsp-php lsp-perl lsp-ocaml lsp-nix lsp-nim
lsp-markdown lsp-lua lsp-kotlin lsp-json lsp-javascript lsp-haxe
lsp-groovy lsp-hack lsp-go lsp-completion lsp-gdscript lsp-fsharp
lsp-fortran lsp-eslint lsp-erlang lsp-elixir lsp-elm lsp-dockerfile
lsp-dhall lsp-d lsp-css lsp-csharp gnutls lsp-crystal lsp-cmake
lsp-clojure lsp-clangd dom lsp-beancount lsp-bash lsp-angular lsp-ada
lsp-actionscript dap-chrome dap-cpptools dap-utils dap-mode dap-launch
posframe dap-overlays lsp-mode lsp-protocol tree-widget spinner
network-stream puny nsm rmc markdown-mode noutline outline lv inline
imenu f s ewoc epg epg-config rainbow-delimiters cus-edit pp cus-start
cus-load wid-edit emojify apropos tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode pcase
ht dash persistent-soft list-utils pcache eieio-base font-utils
unicode-fonts avy hl-line editorconfig yaml-mode autorevert comp
comp-cstr warnings projectile grep compile text-property-search ibuf-ext
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs thingatpt prettier-js which-key advice
helm-xref xref project helm-mode helm-files filenotify tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp
format-spec helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm async-bytecomp
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib async cl-extra yasnippet help-mode
elisp-format solarized-light-theme solarized solarized-faces color
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf rx
cl info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 873136 611356)
 (symbols 48 51776 151)
 (strings 32 250164 112877)
 (string-bytes 1 7414302)
 (vectors 16 123006)
 (vector-slots 8 4471845 793223)
 (floats 8 1006 1252)
 (intervals 56 7184 2211)
 (buffers 992 44))