Subject: bug#50152: closed (Re: bug#50152: Weird characters (eg:â\200\220) are displayed when browsing man pages in Emacs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 17:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#50152: Weird characters (eg: â\200\220) are displayed when browsing man pages in Emacs

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
50152: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50152
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#50152: Weird characters (eg: â\200\220) are displayed when browsing man pages in Emacs
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Jehu Amanna <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 20:25:11 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Jehu Amanna <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 22:46:06 +0530
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I hadn't rebooted my system for a long time and I just did. The issue is gone and the man pages are
> displayed properly when  loaded with configurations. I do not know why such difference. 
> 
> I appreciate for taking time and effort in fixing this. 

Great, thanks for telling us.  I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: Weird characters (eg: â\200\220) are displayed when browsing man pages in Emacs
From: Jehu Amanna <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 17:37:24 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Vist the man page in this following order : C-x RET c utf-8 RET M-x man RET
memset RET

The following is the output:

MEMSET(3)                  Linux Programmer's Manual
MEMSET(3)

NAME
       memset - fill memory with a constant byte

SYNOPSIS
       #include <string.h>

       void *memset(void *s, int c, size_t n);

DESCRIPTION
       The  memset()  function  fills  the  first  n  bytes of the memory
area
       pointed to by s with the constant byte c.

RETURN VALUE
       The memset() function returns a pointer to the memory area s.

ATTRIBUTES
       For an  explanation  of  the  terms  used  in  this  section,  see
 atâ€â€
       tributes(7).

 â”Œâ”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”¬â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”¬â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”

       â”‚Interface â”‚ Attribute     â”‚ Value   â”‚

 â”œâ”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”¼â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”¼â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”¤
       â”‚memset()  â”‚ Thread safety â”‚ MT-Safe â”‚

 â””â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”´â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”´â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”€â”˜
CONFORMING TO
       POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C89, C99, SVr4, 4.3BSD.

SEE ALSO
       bstring(3), bzero(3), swab(3), wmemset(3)

COLOPHON
       This  page  is  part of release 5.05 of the Linux man-pages project.
 A
       description of the project, information about reporting bugs,  and
 the
       latest     version     of     this    page,    can    be    found
 at
       https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/.

GNU                               2017-03-13
MEMSET(3)

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-07-17 built on electriphi
Repository revision: 109c27341e35fae778b95e0eb5d4d72927bf4ea8
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-json --with-mailutils --with-gnutls
 --with-json --with-harfbuzz --with-imagemagick --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-wide-int --with-xft --with-xml2
 --with-xpm --without-compress-install --with-x-toolkit=no --with-gnutls
 --without-gconf --without-xwidgets --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-xaw3d --without-gsettings --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation prefix=/usr/local 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0
 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer' LDFLAGS=-ggdb3'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY OLDXMENU
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE XIM XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  dap-tooltip-mode: t
  dap-ui-many-windows-mode: t
  dap-ui-controls-mode: t
  dap-ui-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: deferred
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  edebug-mode: t
  dap-auto-configure-mode: t
  dap-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  global-emojify-mode: t
  emojify-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jehu/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20210712.1626/transient hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(nnfolder utf-7 recentf helm-x-files helm-for-files helm-bookmark
helm-adaptive treemacs-bookmarks bookmark nndraft nnmh gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr kinsoku
svg gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
nnheader reveal epa-file image-file image-converter helm-external
helm-net mailalias mailclient qp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
lsp-diagnostics company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags
fileloop generator company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company lsp-headerline lsp-icons
lsp-modeline dap-mouse dap-ui lsp-treemacs lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs
treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode
treemacs-interface treemacs-extensions treemacs-mouse-interface
treemacs-tags treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode
treemacs-follow-mode treemacs-rendering treemacs-async
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-scope pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros gdb-mi gud bui
bui-list bui-info bui-entry bui-core bui-history bui-button bui-utils
lsp-lens lsp-ui lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc goto-addr lsp-ui-imenu
lsp-ui-peek lsp-ui-sideline flycheck lsp-ui-util face-remap view cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs ffap editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
editorconfig-fnmatch dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs winner tramp-archive
tramp-gvfs tramp-cache zeroconf dbus xml helm-command helm-elisp
helm-eval edebug backtrace find-func helm-info lsp-zig lsp-steep
lsp-svelte lsp-sqls lsp-yaml lsp-xml lsp-vimscript lsp-vhdl lsp-vetur
lsp-html lsp-verilog lsp-vala lsp-v lsp-terraform lsp-tex lsp-sorbet
lsp-solargraph lsp-rust derived lsp-rf lsp-r lsp-purescript lsp-pylsp
lsp-pyls lsp-pwsh lsp-php lsp-perl lsp-ocaml lsp-nix lsp-nim
lsp-markdown lsp-lua lsp-kotlin lsp-json lsp-javascript lsp-haxe
lsp-groovy lsp-hack lsp-go lsp-completion lsp-gdscript lsp-fsharp
lsp-fortran lsp-eslint lsp-erlang lsp-elixir lsp-elm lsp-dockerfile
lsp-dhall lsp-d lsp-css lsp-csharp gnutls lsp-crystal lsp-cmake
lsp-clojure lsp-clangd dom lsp-beancount lsp-bash lsp-angular lsp-ada
lsp-actionscript dap-chrome dap-cpptools dap-utils dap-mode dap-launch
posframe dap-overlays lsp-mode lsp-protocol tree-widget spinner
network-stream puny nsm rmc markdown-mode noutline outline lv inline
imenu f s ewoc epg epg-config rainbow-delimiters cus-edit pp cus-start
cus-load wid-edit emojify apropos tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode pcase
ht dash persistent-soft list-utils pcache eieio-base font-utils
unicode-fonts avy hl-line editorconfig yaml-mode autorevert comp
comp-cstr warnings projectile grep compile text-property-search ibuf-ext
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs thingatpt prettier-js which-key advice
helm-xref xref project helm-mode helm-files filenotify tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp
format-spec helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm async-bytecomp
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib async cl-extra yasnippet help-mode
elisp-format solarized-light-theme solarized solarized-faces color
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf rx
cl info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 873136 611356)
 (symbols 48 51776 151)
 (strings 32 250164 112877)
 (string-bytes 1 7414302)
 (vectors 16 123006)
 (vector-slots 8 4471845 793223)
 (floats 8 1006 1252)
 (intervals 56 7184 2211)
 (buffers 992 44))