Subject: bug#50151: Coreutils, aarch64 and chroot

From: Frans de Boer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 11:14:10 +0200

On 8/26/21 10:19, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Aug 26 2021, Frans de Boer wrote:
>
>> I was not sure, but I tried the same also with x86_64 cross compiled
>> programs using qemu-i386, which worked.
> Of course, they can be natively executed.
>
> Andreas.
>
I understand now better how things are connected. Until some time ago I 
always used qemu-system-xxx, but have failed to understand that the 
qemu-xxx user emulation is only about the cpu. So, starting programs 
with a different coding will fail. The binfmt is the way to solve this 
issue. Now only find a decent explanation how to setup the 
/etc/binfmt.d/register for the aarch64, powerpc and maybe other 
architectures.
At kernel.org there is an explanation, but fairly limited and thus not 
very helpful at this point in time.

I keep on digging.

Frans