Subject: Re: [bug#50131] [PATCH 3/3] gnu: Generate man pages for lxc.

From: Andrew Whatson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 04:21:06 +0000

On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 at 15:37, Thiago Jung Bauermann
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> There’s no need to pass the prefix argument. ‘gnu-build-system’ already
> does it.

Thanks, fixed in the revised patch.

> > +         (add-before 'configure 'patch-docbook-dtd
> > +           (lambda _
> > +             ;; Fix incorrect DocBook DTD
> > +             (substitute* "configure"
> > +               (("\\\\\"-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3\\.0//EN\\\\\"")
> > +                "\\\"-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML\\\"
> > \\\"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd\\\""))))
>
> Has this fix been submitted upstream, or is it already available in a newer
> lxc version? Ideally, we wouldn’t have to carry this change indefinitely.

The lxc configure script checks for both db2x_docbook2man and
docbook2man (in that order).  If it finds docbook2man, it assumes this
is an older tool and formats the documents with the wrong DTD.  I've
revised the docbook2x package to provide a db2x_docbook2man symlink as
it's possible other packages using docbook2x will make the same
assumption.  This means patching configure is no longure required.

> The same question would apply to the substitutions made in docbook2x, but
> that project seems abandoned so there’s no point.

Similar fixes for docbook2x are found in the arch & nix builds, and
actually some have been incorporated into its CVS repo but never been
released.  I haven't tried to get in touch with upstream, but I guess
it's worth a shot.

Thanks!