Subject: 28.0.50; 2 second delay of emacsclient -nw on st-terminal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:09:15 +0000

Hello,

Using st-terminal with emacs-28.0.50, the initial buffer stays the same
for 2 seconds before finding the file or locating the required
buffer. This is with both emacs -q and emacs -Q.

This setting seems to be controlled by xterm-query-timeout which by
default is 2 seconds.

Since there is already a lisp/term/st.el file, i think handling it the
same way it is handled for screen/tmux is a good idea.
(or maybe there is a better way?)

This was tested by running:
emacs -q (or -Q)
M-x server-start

in st-terminal:
emacsclient -nw /path/to/file

Another maybe irrelevant information is that it didn't do this in
emacs-27. looking at the git-log, there doesn't seem to be anything that
changed it's behavior but it still somehow got changed?

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-musl, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2021-08-17 built on laptop
Repository revision: 54039d721c5b7fd210a79dc641914cba8fc82185
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12012000
System Description: void

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-cairo --with-modules
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings --prefix=/usr'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr emacsbug sendmail time time-stamp
tango-dark-theme org-tempo tempo ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok
nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox rx
use-package-ensure use-package-core edmacro kmacro display-line-numbers
paren org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt
mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search
eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex
iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m cl-extra help-mode org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces org-entities
time-date noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ido cl info package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 235858 17567)
 (symbols 48 24010 5)
 (strings 32 100946 4671)
 (string-bytes 1 3025776)
 (vectors 16 49443)
 (vector-slots 8 1125680 153119)
 (floats 8 271 226)
 (intervals 56 316 0)
 (buffers 992 11))