Subject: about guix install and guix profile

From: Rémy Dernat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:37:30 +0200

Hi,

I have a cluster installation of Guix. It works pretty well on our clusters.

However, I am having issues while trying to export /gnu and /var/guix on 
other machines. Indeed, it seems that "guix install" is looking for 
username in order to search guix profile. This looks a bit odd to me, as 
users may differ between environments. Of course, you may say to install 
another guix server elsewhere, but that is not my point.

I have LDAP pam authentication most of the time, but some machine are 
not connected to my LDAP servers, for some X reasons.

Something more reliable would be to check UID, or EUID instead of 
username to check the corresponding profile (that is more easy for me to 
assign a new UID to an existing username (eg: John has UID 1010 on the 
cluster and 1001 on another machine; that is something I can change 
easily on the machine, but not its username)).

What do you think ?

Thanks,
Best regards,

-- 
Rémy Dernat
Chef de projet SI
IR CNRS - ISI / ISEM