Subject: bug#50104: 28.0.50; 'M-o' is bound in diff-mode-map

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 18:28:47 +0200

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The standard key to display a buffer in another window is 'C-o', not 'M-o',
>> like is used in list-buffers, dired, compilation, grep, occur, etc.,
>> so maybe diff-mode should use the same.
>
> diff-mode is for editible buffers, so it should not override C-o.

Yup.

I grepped through Emacs to see whether other modes also define `M-o'...
and there's a handful that do.  I think it would be pretty annoying to
change these bindings (for users), so I think we should just leave
them as is, even though that means that any new global bindings for
`M-o' are shadowed in those buffers.

I don't think we've guaranteed anything about not using `M-o' for
anything in-tree.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no