Subject: bug#50103: Pulseaudio doesn't export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 11:44:06 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 at 18:35, Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 18.08.2021, 16:06 +0000 schrieb John Kehayias:

>> .config/guix is hardcoded in a few places already isn't it? (or is
>> that just for root? took just a quick look) Personally, I prefer
>> everything in .config to keep the home folder cleaner, but we all
>> know there's a strong mix of things like $HOME/.something and
>> $HOME/.config/something.
> $(HOME)/.config is particularly hard-coded in the current /etc/profile,
> which is why I dub it "fake XDG conformance".  I personally disagree
> with the use for $(HOME)/.config for software packages.

Well, let open a new thread and resume the previous discussion should
nice.  From what I remember, the consensus had been (almost) reached and
none of us took the time to propose a draft patch. :-)

We could imagine a hierarchy where the profile are looked for––say
~/.cache/guix/profiles/ then ~/.config/guix/profiles then etc.––or an
environment variable to let the user have the control.  Whatever, we all
have an idea but nothing concrete to discussion the details. ;-)

>From my understanding, set a central place where the profiles live would
be very helpful.  Having only one big profile slows down a lot of
operation when several ones ease the maintenance, IMHO.

Cheers,
simon

PS: Personally, I have profiles with my tools (Emacs, notmuch,
etc. )under ~/.config/guix/profiles and these profiles are generated
with manifests under ~/.config/guix/manifests/ (folder under Git).  Then
inside each project, I have a manifest file specific for the project,
then sometime the profile lives here, sometime I only use “guix
environment”, etc.