Subject: Re: bug#50103: Pulseaudio doesn't export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:28:32 +0200

Leo Prikler schreef op wo 18-08-2021 om 10:03 [+0200]:
> Hi John,
> 
> a lot of packages would do much better if they exported
> XDG_CONFIG_DIRS.  However, there is currently no way of doing so other
> than copypasting the same snippet over and over and over and over.  A
> workaround -- if you need this in an environment -- is to also include
> a package, that already has a search path on XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, like glib
> (I think glib:bin works too).
> 
> I recently tried exporting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS as a variable from one
> module, so that it can be referenced in others, but that led to a weird
> recursive errors.  It would be nice to find a good way of doing that,
> though.

What do you think of defining the <search-path-specification>
$XDG_CONFIG_DIR in (guix search-paths) itself, next to $PATH?  That seems
unlikely to lead to recursive errors.

Alternatively, I would guess that making 'search-paths' and
'native-search-paths' a ‘thunked’ field would resolve the errors,
at cost of making <package> objects use a bit more memory.

Greetings,
Maxime.