Subject: bug#50097: gzip: add "--keep" option to keep original files unchanged

From: Rodrigo Campos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 00:43:26 +0200

On 8/17/21 7:43 PM, Krzysztof Żelechowski wrote:
> Dnia sobota, 9 lutego 2013 16:21:13 CEST Rodrigo Campos pisze:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please keep me in Cc: since I'm not subscribed.
>>
>> This path just adds the "--keep" option to keep original files unchanged.
>> The patch is very simple and I have tried it here (manpage and binary) and
>> it seems to work just fine.
>>
>> I tried to respect the coding style (it is a very small patch, so hopefully
>> I did) and the commit format. But I wasn't sure how the commit format for
>> this patch should be. So please let me know which changes should I do.
> 
> This patch has the following problem: it still refuses to zip a file with
> multiple links for no reason (the original file is unaffected).

Wow, this patch was sent (and applied) ~8 years ago already. Congrats 
for finding the thread :D

Can you please explain why, if the original file is not affected, this 
patch is related? The patch just makes sure the original files are 
unchanged, as the topic says, and that is working as far as I understand.

Also, can you please provide specific steps to reproduce?

Best,
Rodrigo