Subject: Re: [bug#50077] [PATCH v2 3/3] gnu: Add emacs-notmuch.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:35:45 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 at 17:29, Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14 2021, Andrew Tropin wrote:
>> On 2021-09-04 11:42, Xinglu Chen wrote:

>> Not sure if we need to hardcode the path to notmuch binary (some people
>> can use guix for managing emacs packages, but not system), but I think
>> it's a rare case and this default is reasonable and easily fixable by
>> simple `(setq notmuch-command "notmuch")` in the cases, when notmuch
>> itslef provided by other package manager.
>
> Yeah, this default should work for most people, and as you said, people
> who haven’t installed Notmuch via Guix can just set to the
> ‘notmuch-command’ to the appropriate value.  It’s Emacs after all... ;-)
>
> Also, since there was a consensus that Emacs packages that were included
> in “regular” packages should be packaged as separate ‘emacs-’ packages,
> I think it would be a good idea to add a paragraph about that in the
> manual.

I agree.  For references, this question appears here:

   <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/49457>
   <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/50231>

so it seems something is missing in the manual. :-)

All the best,
simon