Subject: [bug#50072] [PATCH WIP 0/4] Add upstream updater for git-fetch origins.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 12:19:17 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 06 Jan 2022 at 11:13, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I think IWBN eventually for ‘file-hash*’ to have a #:serializer
> argument.  (guix scripts hash) would then become a thin layer above
> (guix hash).
>
> That #:serializer would have a default value, probably “none”, but no
> “auto-detection” as this amount of guessing would make for a fragile
> interface IMO.

It was my idea behind when I proposed to rename #:recursive? to
#:nar-serializer?. ;-) The name #:nar-serializer? was somehow an
intermediary step since the patch was already ready and, as Maxime
explained, the change for #:serializer was implying another round for
adjusting and v4/v5 was already enough effort put in. :-)

Anyway, the patch is ready (probably already pushed \o/ :-)).  Nothing
prevent us (me?) to propose later a patch for this adjustment. ;-)

Cheers,
simon