Subject: Re: bug#50072: [PATCH WIP 0/4] Add upstream updater for git-fetch origins.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 11:06:21 +0100

Hi,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> skribis:

> 'auto' is indeed a little ambigious, so I adjusted most calls to
> file-hash* to set #:recursive? #true/#false appropriately in v3.
> But in this particular case (guix/scripts/refresh.scm), it not known in
> advance, so some guesswork is necessary.

We could move guesswork at the call site.  No big deal IMO, though.

> Anyway, these calls to file-hash* are bothering me a little: can't
> we just record the hash in the 'upstream-source' record or ask the
> daemon for the hash of a store item (*) or something?

<upstream-source> represents available source that has usually not been
downloaded yet (that’s what happens when running ‘guix refresh’ without
‘-u’), so it cannot contain the hash.

> That would complicate this patch series more, so I'd prefer to delay
> that for a future patch series.

Yes, this series LGTM as-is, but let’s keep these improvements in mind.

Ludo’.